Pet Nutrition

1 Article Found



Posted 01/01/70

In August 2005, a local news story reported that a puppy was fed mints containing xylitol and within 30 minutes this resulted in the puppy vomiting and showing signs of weakness, disorientation and seizures. How could this natural sweetener used by humans all over the world cause this problem for the puppy? In animals xylitol causes a massive rapid release of insulin from the pancreas. Normally, insulin’s job is to put sugar into cells for energy but when there is too much insulin and not enough sugar, the body cannot function properly and vomiting, weakness and coma can occur. The...

View