Natural Grocers Broccoli, Egg, and Potato Breakfast Bowl
This hearty breakfast is packed with veggies, full of flavor, and perfect for weekend brunch. The potatoes are fried in coconut oil, the vegetables are gently steamed, and the melted cheese topped with sunny side up eggs and bacon crumbles create a taste sensation you will crave not just on weekends, but every day of the week. It is hearty, but deceptively light due to the quantity of vegetables—i.e., you won’t need a nap after eating it!
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the bacon strips on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Once the oven is hot, place in the oven and bake until done, 20-30 minutes. Once done, transfer to a cutting board and chop into bite-size crumbles. Set aside.
- While the bacon cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the coconut oil. When hot, add the potatoes. Let the potatoes sit without stirring for approximately 5-6 minutes, or until they start to lightly brown. With a spatula, turn the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and begin browning the other side. Again, leave them alone for 4-5 minutes allowing the potatoes to become lightly browned before turning. Stir and add the onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Continue cooking without turning for 3-4 minutes then uncover, turn potatoes, and repeat the process until potatoes have softened and can be broken apart with a fork. Once soft, uncover and allow to finish cooking for another 7-10 minutes, watching potatoes closely and continuing to stir every 2-3 minutes until the potatoes are done. Taste the potatoes, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a pot with about an inch of water, place a steamer basket in the pot, and place over high heat. When the potatoes have less than 10 minutes to finish cooking and the water is boiling, add the frozen broccoli to the steaming basket, cover and steam until just starting to warm, 3-4 minutes. Add the pepper and kale, cover, and steam for approximately 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are done to your liking.
- Discard the parchment paper from the baking sheet used to cook the bacon and transfer the vegetables to half the sheet, top with one tablespoon of butter (or ghee, if using) and toss. Transfer the potatoes to the other half of the sheet. Top the whole thing with the shredded cheese and place in the oven to melt the cheese. Divide the vegetables and potatoes evenly among four dinner plates or large bowls just before the eggs are finished cooking.
- Wipe the skillet the potatoes were cooked in clean with a paper towel, place over medium heat, and melt the remaining tablespoon of butter or ghee. Break the eggs into the skillet one at a time (if your skillet is not large enough for all 8 eggs, cook in batches). Season with salt and pepper and cook the eggs to your liking (sunny-side up, over-easy, over-medium, etc.). When the eggs are cooked, transfer two eggs to each bowl or plate and top with bacon crumbles. Serve immediately.
Source: Karen Falbo