Pizza Burgers with Organic Italian Salad
When your family can’t decide between pizza and burgers, combine the two in this mouthwatering and quick dinner!
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning and mix with your hands until well combined.
- Divide beef into four equal portions and form each into a ¾-inch thick patty.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the pasta sauce.
- Brown patties in a large skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. For veggie burgers, follow package instructions for preparation.
- While the burgers cook, prepare the salad vegetables. Divide lettuce evenly among four salad bowls and top with cucumber, black olives, grape tomatoes, red onion slices, and pepperoncini peppers.
- After flipping the burgers, add the mushrooms to the onions and cover, cooking until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- After the burgers are browned on both sides, top each burger with a slice of cheese, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover to allow cheese to melt. Prepare the buns by combining the melted butter and garlic granules in a small bowl. Brush an even layer of garlic butter over each piece of bread. Place buns or bread butter-face up under the broiler for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve the burgers on the toasted bread, topped with pasta sauce and mushrooms, with the salad and Italian dressing on the side.
Source: Amy Brophy & Lani Jacobs-Banner
Tips for What to Do With Excess ingredients: Extra pasta sauce can be used as a pizza topping, over pasta or over steams vegetables. Mozzarella cheese can be added to salads, scrambled eggs, sandwiches, or eaten as a snack. Grape tomatoes can be used in the salad for Galveston Hot Roasted Chicken, or can be added to any salad, added to eggs or used to top tacos. Pepperoncini’s can be eaten as a snack, included in other salads, or used as a pizza topper.