- Set a three-quart slow cooker (or larger) on counter. If possible, remove the inner pot and set by the stovetop. If you can’t remove the inner pot, set the slow cooker by stovetop.
- Rinse the greens and allow them to soak in cold water for 10 minutes, removing any yellowing or brown leaves. Pat leaves dry or use a salad spinner to dry greens. Roughly chop into one to two-inch pieces and set aside.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat
- Using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut bacon into ½-inch thick pieces. Add to the heated skillet. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bacon is cooked through but not crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to slow cooker.
- Add onion to skillet and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent, and use a wooden spoon to scrape all the bacon bits off the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, taking care to not let the garlic burn.
- Add half of the greens to the skillet. Stir until the greens have wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining greens and stir until wilted. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and the apple cider vinegar. Stir well, being sure to scrape all remaining bits from the bottom of the pan. Empty the skillet into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, brown sugar, jalapeños, and remaining salt and pepper to the slow cooker and mix together well.
- If you removed the inner pot from the slow cooker, return it now. Add the lid, set heat to low, and leave to cook for 5-6 hours. After the greens have finished cooking, add red chili flakes if desired. You can also add additional vinegar, salt, pepper, or brown sugar to taste. If not serving the greens immediately, set to warm until serving time.
Tips for Leftovers:
Try adding a soft-boiled or over-medium cooked egg for a veggie loaded breakfast! Add on top of a burger or pulled pork sandwich for a fun twist. Also, leftovers are excellent eaten alone as well.
Where Recipe Fits Into Meal Wheel:
Vegetables, Quality Protein, and Healthy Fat
Suggestions for Getting Children Involved:
Children can help with prepping and washing greens as well as measuring ingredients.
General Tips for Time Management:
Greens can be washed and prepped a day prior. Greens, onions, and garlic can be chopped while bacon is cooking.
|Sweet ‘N Spicy Slow Cooker Greens
|1 cup per serving
Browse All of Our Thanksgiving Menus