Early Summer Greens With Garlic Vinaigrette Recipe
1 large garlic clove, minced
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1⁄2 teaspoon raw honey, Natural Grocers
1 5-ounce container baby spring greens mix
3 large leaves rainbow chard, stems removed, or kale
1 cucumber, peeled
1 organic red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
For the Dressing:
- On a cutting board, sprinkle half of the salt over the minced garlic, and using the side of a chef’s knife, press the knife into the garlic and salt to mash into a paste. Scoop the garlic paste into a bowl to make the dressing.
- Add the remaining salt, vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and honey. Whisk together until emulsified. Taste and add more salt if needed.
For the Salad:
- Place the mixed baby greens in a large salad bowl.
- Stack the rainbow chard or kale leaves one on top of the other, roll up, and finely cut the leaves, making thin strips. Toss with the baby greens.
- Cut the ends off the cucumber, slice it in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, and thinly slice.
- Scatter the red pepper over the top of the salad, spread the cucumber slices over the peppers, and top with the olives.
- Either plate the salad before adding the dressing or drizzle the dressing over the entire salad and toss before serving.
- Source: Karen Falbo