Dairy-Free Creamy Spinach Potato-Crust Quiche Recipe
1 package Kite Hill chive cream cheese-style spread
1 10-ounce package Cascadian Farm frozen spinach, thawed
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 bunch fine diced fresh chives or green onions, finely chopped
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 eggs separated, plus 4 large eggs, yolks separated from whites
3 tablespoons 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium russet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Peel and slice the potatoes lengthwise into thin ovals (use a mandolin on ¼-inch thickness if you have one).
- Toss the potatoes with 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt, then arrange in a single layer on two baking sheets. Bake until tender and pliable but not brown, 12 to 17 minutes.
- Grease a 9 to10-inch deep dish pie plate and line the sides with overlapping potato slices so they stick out above the rim to make the crust; cover the bottom with the remaining slices, overlapping to cover the entire bottom of the pie plate.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF
- Beat the egg whites using a hand mixer on low speed, or a hand whisk, until the peaks stand straight up when the beaters are lifted from the mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 4 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks, almond milk, 1/8 cup of olive oil, chives or green onions, nutmeg, and salt.
- Squeeze the water from the spinach and stir spinach into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the egg whites until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the potato-lined pie plate.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop the cream cheese-style spread and drop dollops on top of the quiche, in a circle pattern moving from the outside of the pie to the inside.
- Bake the quiche until just set in the center, 45-55 minutes.
- Let cool at least 15-20 minutes before slicing.