- Lightly grease an oven-safe mug with coconut oil or butter.
- Create a layer with about 1/3 of the bread cubes on the bottom of the cup. Add dollops of about half of the preserves and dollops of about half of the cream cheese. Repeat the layering once, finishing with the last third of the bread cubes.
- Whisk the milk, egg, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the mug. Using a fork, gently squish down the bread to soak up the egg mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Place the mug on a baking sheet for easier transfer. Bake for 20 minutes covered. Remove foil and continue baking until bubbling has reduced and the contents of the mug look solid, about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and top with butter, maple syrup, or other topping of choice.
Source: Lani Jacobs-Banner
Tips for what to do with excess ingredients: excess cream cheese can be used on bagels, mixed into scrambled eggs, included in omelets, or as a part of cream cheese frosting for your favorite cake or muffin.