1. Clean the grill grates and lightly spray with the non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the grill on high heat to 375° F. Once the grill is at temperature, set up two to three cooking zones. One zone is for indirect heat, another zone for low heat, and a third zone for medium-high heat. You can also use the rack for indirect heat.
2. Spread the buttery spread thickly over the outside and thinly on the inside of each slice of bread. Over the thinly buttered side, distribute the shredded cheese evenly, taking the cheese shreds to the edge of the bread; gently press the shreds down to pack as tightly as possible. Add optional additional toppings, using some caution not to pile the ingredients too high (too much filling will cause the ingredients to fall out on the grill). Place the other slice of bread on top with the thick-buttered side on the outside.
3. Place the sandwiches on the grill over the medium-high heat zone, close the lid, and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes (depending on the thickness of the bread). Once the cheese has melted, use a metal spatula to flip the sandwich and grill the second side for an additional 3-4 minutes with the lid closed.
4. Lift each sandwich to the low heat zone and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Move to the indirect heat zone until ready to serve; the cheese should be nicely melted and the bread toasted.
5. Transfer the hot sandwiches to a plate or cutting board. Slice the sandwiches in half and serve hot.
Optional ingredients: tuna fish, pepperoni, ham, turkey, bacon, fresh sliced or pickled organic jalapeño, thinly sliced organic onion, sliced organic tomato, organic spinach, organic basil, or cucumber relish.
Recommended Beer Style: Pilsner