Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies Recipe
This almond flour shortbread is sinfully buttery, delectably tender, and oh so rich in flavor! Almond flour is a wonderful addition to this iconic cookie recipe, adding both flavor and nutrition. It has a natural buttery and slightly nutty flavor with a high protein content, providing an ideal texture and taste that’s just divine.
1. Preheat the oven to 300° F.
2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (almond flour, arrowroot starch, sugar, and salt) until well combined.
4. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter (a few pieces at a time) into the flour-sugar mixture. Repeat the process until all 8 tablespoons are incorporated. At this stage, it is fine to still have some small lumps of butter not fully mixed in.
5. Add the vanilla and almond extracts, stirring to incorporate, and then use your hands to knead the dough until all ingredients, including the butter, are well combined.
6. With your hands, form dough into walnut-size balls, place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a fork to press down in the middle of the cookies (flatten the center and shape the cookie). Place back in the oven to bake for another 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Let cookies cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet. As the cookies cool, the arrowroot starch acts as a binder preventing the cookies from crumbling. When the cookies have completely cooled, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.