Natural Grocers Potato Noodle Beef Stroganoff Served with Greens
Homemade beef stroganoff over potato noodles may sound like a complicated meal, but we promise it’s not. This recipe provides all the flavor of a gourmet meal and it is surprisingly simple to make. The layers of flavor from sautéing the onion, mushrooms, and garlic until the natural sweetness develops and the perfectly seared steak cubes simmered in a savory coconut milk-based sauce will satisfy your taste buds and comfort food desires.
- Place a large pot filled about half to three-quarters full of water over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon salt, cover and bring to a boil.
- Heat an extra-large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and swirl to coat. Add the onion and mushrooms, sauté for 2 minutes, stir and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add the minced garlic, stir to incorporate, and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, until garlic is fragrant. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, swirl to coat, and add the steak cubes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same skillet or Dutch oven, add the coconut milk, broth, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and mustard and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add the mushroom-onion mixture back, and stir to combine. Add the potato noodles and gently stir to ensure the potatoes are covered with the sauce. Cover and adjust the heat to medium, and allow the potatoes to cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to soften, stirring every 2-3 minutes to ensure even cooking. When checking the potatoes, if the skillet is too hot and the sauce is bubbling vigorously, reduce the heat to low.
- When the potatoes are beginning to soften, add the beef back to the skillet, gently stir and toss to combine all ingredients. Cover and let cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- While the beef finishes cooking with the potatoes, add the greens to the boiling water, boil for 3 minutes, strain in a colander, and add back to the pot. Add butter or ghee and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and toss, cover, and set aside until ready to serve.
- To serve, divide the greens evenly among four dinner plates, add the potato noodles and beef stroganoff on top of the greens, spoon additional sauce over the greens, season with fresh ground black pepper, and enjoy!