1. If making riced cauliflower, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Rinse the head of cauliflower and pat dry. Cut into florets and discard thick stalks. Pulse the florets in a food processor until you achieve small granules that resemble rice (you can also use a box grater to grate the florets into rice-like granules). Put the riced cauliflower in a large bowl and add enough boiling water to cover. Allow to sit for 4 minutes, or until softened, then drain. Try to make sure nearly all of the liquid has drained off and set aside.
2. Add one cup water to a medium skillet or a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil.
3. Rinse the basmati rice until the water runs clear. Drain well and add to the water along with the butter, Italian seasoning, and salt. Once boiling stir to mix well, then cover and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Set a timer for 10 minutes.
4. While the rice cooks, halve the tomatoes and the lemon, and chop the parsley.
5. Once the rice has cooked for 10 minutes, gently press the bag of riced cauliflower to break up any large chunks, then add half of it to the top of the rice, pouring it all around the pan or add the freshly made riced cauliflower on the top of the rice. Cover and set a timer for 7 minutes.
6. Once the rice has cooked for 7 more minutes add the cod to the pan (keeping the butter pats on top of it), gently nestling it into the riced cauliflower, then re-cover and cook another 8 minutes.
7. After the rice has cooked a total of 25 minutes, peek at the cod and make sure it is nearly cooked through. It should look opaque and no longer translucent and should flake easily when a fork inserted into the thickest part is twisted. If the cod is not done, cover the pan and let it sit off heat for up to 10 minutes, checking every two or three minutes until it is cooked through.
8. Once the cod is cooked, transfer it to a plate. Add the tomatoes and parsley to the rice and stir to combine. Either return the cod to the pan and serve or portion out into two bowls. Squeeze lemon over each serving and add salt and pepper to taste.