1. Add the cashews, cilantro, olive oil, garlic, tamari, coconut sugar, jalapeño, lime juice, and water to a food processor or blender. Pulse or blend until the mixture is a smooth paste, scraping down the sides as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside a third of the marinade for serving with the chicken and use the rest to coat the chicken.
2. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and rub the marinade on both sides of the chicken, thoroughly coating. Chill for 1-2 hours or overnight (up to 12 hours) until ready to cook. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
3. To grill the chicken: Pre-heat the grill (or grill pan) to medium-high. When placing the chicken on the grill, scoop the extra marinade from the container the chicken marinated in and spread it evenly over the thighs. Grill the chicken for 20-30 minutes, turning carefully once or twice, until golden with some crispy edges and a meat thermometer reads 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, or when cut into with a knife the juices run clear (not pink). Note: As you turn the pieces, some of the coating may fall off. Don't worry if and when this happens.
4. To broil the chicken: Preheat the broiler and adjust the oven rack to the middle of the oven. Use a broiling pan or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chicken on the pan (with no overlapping pieces), directly under the broiler. Close the oven door and broil for about 20 minutes (depending on how far the chicken is from the heat), turning twice during the cooking time to prevent burning.
5. While the chicken is cooking, warm the reserved marinade in a small pan over medium-low heat. Once the chicken is fully cooked, serve immediately with warmed marinade, lime wedges, and cilantro.
Recommended Wine Style: Chardonnay
- Wander and Ivy Chardonnay
Recommended Beer Style: Lager
- Full Sail Session Cerveza