1. Remove steaks from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. While the grill is heating, combine the coconut sugar and hot water in a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk or shake to dissolve the sugar. Add the lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, and chili flakes. Whisk or shake well. Set aside.
3. Once the grill is hot, pat each steak dry with a paper towel, rub with a light coating of olive oil, and generously season with salt and pepper. Grill 4-5 minutes before flipping and grilling the second side for 3-5 minutes. Use the shorter cooking times for rare. A meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the steak should read 120° for rare, 125° for medium-rare, or 130° for medium. (Grassfed beef is best cooked to no more than medium.) Transfer the steaks to a plate and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
4. Prep the salad ingredients and toss the lettuce, carrot, cilantro, and mint in a large bowl.
5. Thinly slice the steaks against the grain and transfer slices and juices that have accumulated to a bowl. Pour about half of the dressing over the beef and toss to combine.
6. Add the olive oil and sesame oil to the remaining dressing and whisk or shake to combine (start with 2 teaspoons of each and add more to taste). Toss the lettuce and herbs with the remaining dressing. Divide the salad among four plates and top each with ¼ of the steak slices and a ¼ of the chopped nuts just before serving.
Recommended Beer Style: Sour