Beet and Red Cabbage Salad with Blue Cheese Recipe
Beets are one of the best ways to boost your nitric oxide levels, which supports everything from cognition to exercise performance and cardiovascular health. The bright zest of citrus and fresh herbs in this savory salad are the perfect foil for the earthy beets and blue cheese, making it easy to eat more beets
- Steam or boil beets until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Strain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- While the beets are cooking, place the onion and apple cider vinegar in a bowl, mix well, and set aside to soak.
- Combine the cabbage and parsley in a large bowl. Cut the beets into matchsticks and add to the cabbage and parsley.
- Strain the vinegar from the onions into a small bowl. Add the onions to the cabbage and beet mixture. Add ¼ cup olive oil, orange zest, thyme leaves, sea salt, and honey to the vinegar and mix until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and beet mixture and toss to evenly coat the vegetables. Top with blue cheese and bacon just before serving.
Source: Lani Jacobs-Banner