1. Pour the rice into a large pot and rinse three or more times until the water is no longer cloudy. Drain the water.
2. Add 8 cups of water to the pot and cook over high heat until boiling, then simmer at medium-high heat. Cook for approximately 20-25 minutes, which will give it a soup-like consistency. You may opt to cook longer for a thicker, more porridge-like consistency.
3. While the rice is cooking, boil 3 cups of water with the eggs in a pot for 10-12 minutes for hard boiled, or 6-8 minutes for softer boiled egg.
4. In a skillet over medium heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the sausage and sauté until brown, about 12 minutes.
5. Slice the green onions diagonally into ¼-inch pieces.
6. Once all the components are ready, assemble the congee by layering the congee into the bowl first and top with a hard-boiled egg cut in half, the sausage, and green onions. Season with toasted sesame oil (a few drops go a long way), tamari soy sauce, and ground black pepper to taste.
Recommended Wine Style: Prosecco
- Pizzolato Prosecco with Orange Juice