1. Heat the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally until translucent, 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes, garlic, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic and cumin are fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the broth, bay leaf, and corn and bring to a boil. Cover, leaving lid ajar, and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Once the potatoes are tender, remove the bay leaf and transfer about half the mixture to a blender. Remove the center insert of the lid and cover the lid with a dish towel to allow steam to escape while blending. Blend until smooth. Alternately, use an immersion blender to blend the chowder in the pot until about half is smooth (this method results in a chunkier texture).
5. Return the puréed chowder to the soup pot and stir in all but a tablespoon or two of the green chilies. Heat for 2-4 minutes. Add the cream and stir well to incorporate. Taste and adjust salt as desired.
6. Ladle into bowls and top with a little of the reserved green chilies and optional toppings as desired. Serve with warm tortillas or Natural Grocers Brand Organic Corn Tortilla Chips on the side.
Make it Vegan/Dairy Free: Substitute 2 tablespoons Natural Grocers Brand Organic Plant Based Buttery Sticks for the butter and 1 cup Natural Grocers Brand Organic Original Coconut Milk for the heavy whipping cream. Leave the Natural Grocers Brand Organic Mexican Blend Cheese Shreds off or replace with your favorite shredded vegan cheese. Note: Vegan version is not coconut free.
Recommended Beer Style: Mexican Lager