Natural Grocers Chicken with Leek and Mushroom Sauce Served Over Cauliflower Rice with a Simple Greens and Beet Salad
This dish is comforting and elegant all at the same time, fancy enough to serve to company, but easy enough to fix for a weeknight family dinner. It’s also loaded with good4u veggies but they take on such different roles in the recipe you’ll hardly even notice!
- Prepare salad dressing by combining olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. With lid securely fastened shake vigorously to mix. Set aside.
- Liberally season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the leeks and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add wine or broth and vinegar mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk the Dijon mustard into the broth and add all but about 2 tablespoons to the leek and mushroom mixture. Stir well to combine. Push the leek and mushroom mixture to the sides of the pan and nestle the chicken into the opening. Add any chicken juices that have accumulated on the plate to the skillet and gently shake the pan to distribute everything evenly. Lower heat slightly to maintain a strong simmer and cook, until the chicken is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Note, if your chicken is not fully submerged in the mixture you should flip each breast about halfway through the simmering time.
- While the chicken is simmering, heat a medium skillet over medium heat, add the cauliflower rice, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender but still has some bite, about 10 minutes. Add a small amount of water if the cauliflower starts to stick to the pan.
- Meanwhile, whisk the arrowroot into the remaining 2 tablespoons of broth until smooth. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Add the arrowroot-broth mixture to the mushroom and leek mixture, stir well, and cook until mixture just thickens, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the salad greens to a large bowl and drizzle with the dressing, to taste; toss to coat the greens in a light layer of dressing. Divide greens among four salad plates and top each with an equal amount of chopped beets.
- Serve chicken breasts over the prepared cauliflower rice, topped with the mushroom and leek sauce and garnished with parsley. Serve the salad on the side.