Natural Grocers Ginger Kombucha Marinated Chicken and Veggies
Start marinating the chicken before you leave for work in the morning so when you get home, you’ll be able to quickly throw together a super flavorful, crowd-pleasing meal. It’s loaded with veggies too, but you won’t hear any complaints, since grilling brings out their best. Serve it all over a bed of simple cauliflower rice for a complete meal.
- Place the chicken in a glass baking dish with a lid or a resealable plastic bag.
- Mix the kombucha, 4 tablespoons coconut aminos, honey, 1 tablespoon garlic (about 3 cloves worth), vinegar, and chili paste in a bowl. Pour about ¾ cup of the marinade over the chicken, making sure it is mostly covered, and refrigerate the chicken and remaining marinade for at least two hours, or preferably 8-12 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Peel the onions and trim the ends. Slice three ¼-inch slices off one of the onions and set aside. Cut the remaining onion into 1-inch chunks. Prep the mushrooms, squash, and zucchini and combine with the onion chunks in a large bowl. Pour the reserved marinade over them and stir to coat. Drizzle with coconut oil and lightly season with salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Transfer the chicken from the marinade to a plate and set aside. Pour the remaining marinade from the chicken and the vegetables into a small saucepan, set over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Boil the marinade for 5 minutes.
- While the marinade is boiling transfer the vegetables to a grill basket and set aside.
- Place the chicken on the grill, cover and cook, brushing with the marinade every 4-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes per side (depending on the thickness), or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 170°F.
- Place the vegetables on the grill after the chicken has been cooking for about 5 minutes. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring the vegetables occasionally and redistributing them in the basket to ensure even cooking, until they are tender and lightly browned.
- While the chicken and veggies cook, finely dice the reserved onion slices. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once hot add the olive oil and onions and toss to coat the onions with the oil. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just translucent. Add the remaining garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add the riced cauliflower to the pan and stir well. Cover and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is warmed through and softened slightly, about 8 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut aminos and stir well.
- To serve, divide the cauliflower rice among four serving plates and top evenly with the chicken breasts and veggies. Enjoy!
Note: If you do not have a grill basket, cut the onions into ½-inch rounds and the zucchini and summer squash lengthwise into ¼-½-inch slices. Toss with marinade and coconut oil as directed above. Carefully place the vegetables on the grill so they do not fall through the grates. Use tongs to carefully turn them about halfway through cooking time.