Natural Grocers Organic Slow Cooker Cajun Spiced Chicken Served with Potatoes and Green Beans
Spice up your weeknight with this perfectly seasoned and perfectly simple slow cooker chicken! With buttery potatoes and green beans, this will become an easy weeknight go-to meal that tastes like you spent the day in the kitchen.
- Mix the salt and all the spices thoroughly in a small bowl.
- Remove the bag of giblets from the chicken and set aside (the giblets can be used with the chicken carcass to make soup or broth, or for added nutrition, grind the kidneys, liver, and heart to add to ground meat for burgers or meatloaf; freeze if not using right away). Rinse the chicken, pat dry, and place in a large bowl.
- Coat the chicken thoroughly with the spice mixture, getting under the skin of the breasts and thighs.
- Place chicken breast-side down in a four-quart slow cooker and cook on low heat four to five hours, high heat three to four hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- With about 20 minutes left on the cooking time for the chicken, set a steamer basket in a large pot filled with enough water to come just below the steamer basket. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes to the steamer basket, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Steam for 8-10 minutes. Add the green beans to the steamer basket and steam for another 7-10 minutes, or until the green beans and potatoes are done to your liking.
- Place potatoes and beans in a large bowl, add butter, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the slow cooker to a large cutting board. Remove the meat from the chicken and serve alongside the green beans and potatoes. For extra flavor and spice, top the chicken with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and serve with your favorite hot sauce or the drippings from the slow cooker.