1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Peel and seed the butternut squash and cut into ½-inch cubes. In a large serving bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the squash is tender and golden brown in spots, stirring halfway through baking.
3. Chop the kale into bite-size pieces and add them to the large serving bowl with 1 teaspoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Use your hands to thoroughly massage and mix the kale for one minute; it should soften slightly and turn a brighter shade of green.
4. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the pecans and toast, stirring frequently, until they are fragrant and lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
5. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously.
6. Trim the stem of each Brussels sprout and remove any blemished leaves from the outside of the sprout. Very thinly slice the sprouts and cabbage. This is easily done using a food processor with the slicing attachment or a mandolin. Add the sliced vegetables to the bowl with the kale. Add about ½ the dressing to the bowl and mix well.
7. Roughly chop the cranberries and add to the bowl.
8. Once the squash is baked allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Add the squash, diced apple, and a little more dressing to the bowl and mix well. Taste and add more dressing if desired. Top with the pecans and crumbled cheese just before serving.
Nutrition per serving
per one serving
Recommended Wine Style: Sauvignon Blanc