1. Add the olive oil to a large soup pot over medium heat; swirl to coat the pot. When hot, add the diced onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and ginger, stir to combine, and continue cooking for a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant.
3. Add the butternut squash, broth, coconut milk, and the seasonings. Stir until well combined, cover, bring to a boil, and immediately reduce to a simmer. Move the lid to partially cover, and let simmer for 12 minutes.
4. If using toasted coconut flakes to top the soup, heat a skillet over medium heat, add the coconut, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Turn the heat off and continue stirring for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use. Note: Watch carefully and stir constantly to prevent coconut from burning.
5. Use a hand-held immersion blender to purée the soup or transfer the soup to a blender, working in batches. Fill the blender no more than halfway full; when blending hot liquid, remove the center piece from the blender lid, and place a folded dishtowel over the opening. Turn the blender on the lowest setting and work your way up to blend until smooth, using caution to avoid splashing. Pour back into the soup pot and transfer more to the blender repeating the process until the soup is puréed.
6. Taste the soup and add extra salt if needed. Divide evenly among six soup bowls. Drizzle each with yogurt or a squeeze of lime juice; top with a sprinkle of coconut flakes and/or pumpkin seeds and serve immediately. Try serving it with toasted bread slathered in butter or Natural Grocers Brand Organic Plant Based Buttery Spread.
Nutrition per serving
per one serving
Recommended Wine Style: Chardonnay
- Frey Sun and Rain Organic Chardonnay