Cider Braised Chicken With Apples and Kale Recipe
Combat the cooling temperatures and warm your family’s bellies with this savory one-pot dish. Pair with our recipe for Heather’s Special Potatoes for a complete meal that includes quality protein, healthy fats, and three servings of vegetables per person!
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Remove stems from washed kale and set aside. Tear kale leaves into bite-sized pieces. Slice the ends off of kale stems and thinly slice.
- In a large oven-safe Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but about 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet, leaving enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
- In the same skillet, sear the chicken thighs, skin side down, until they easily release from the pan. Remove and set aside.
- Add kale stems to the skillet, and cook for about 1 minute. Add the shallot and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the apples and kale, cover, and cook until kale is wilted and apples are slightly softened, 2-3 minutes. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Remove the skillet from heat, add cider, and scrape the bottom of the pan, releasing the browned bits. Add mustard and thyme and mix well.
- Add kale mixture back to the skillet and mix to coat in the cider sauce. Crumble the bacon, mix in, and top with the chicken, skin side up. Roast in the oven, uncovered, until an instant read thermometer in the chicken reads 165-175° F, about 20 minutes.
Pair with this recipe for Heather’s special potatoes to make a complete meal that includes 3 total servings of vegetables.
Source: Lani Jacobs-Banner