Natural Grocers Easy Slow Cooker Brazilian Braised Beef
Give this veggie packed Brazilian version of a sloppy Joe a try!
- In a small bowl, combine the bay leaf, garlic, cumin, paprika, mustard seed, coriander, thyme, oregano, and salt. Rub the seasoning mix on all sides of the meat and sprinkle all over with black pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown the roast on all sides.
- Combine the broth and canned tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add the roast, cover, and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 160° F.
- Remove the roast and shred with two forks until the meat is completely pulled apart. After you have shredded the roast, transfer half of the broth to a large skillet. Bring it to a boil and reduce by half. Once reduced add it back to the slow cooker, along with the shredded roast.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent and some light browning occurs, 4-5 minutes. Add the peppers, toss with the onion, and cook until the onion is beginning to caramelize and the peppers are soft and cooked through (if using frozen peppers, sauté the onion alone until almost caramelized before adding the peppers; frozen peppers take less time). Reduce heat to low, add the garlic, cumin, mustard, and coriander and stir until well combined. Sauté another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute, stirring to make sure everything mixes well.
- Transfer the sautéed onion and pepper mixture to the crockpot with the meat and toss until well combined. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, or longer to allow the meat to absorb more of the flavors.
- Before serving, season with extra salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the meat to a serving dish and set the lettuce, avocado, tomato, and tortillas out for guests to fill a lettuce wrap or a tortilla with the meat and their choice of toppings. Make sure there are plenty of napkins—it is messy, delicious, and fun!