Denver - Design District - Alameda and Broadway
368 S Broadway
Denver, CO 80209
1. Peel the citrus, removing as much as the pith as possible, and slice into wheels, removing any seeds. (To peel citrus: Slice off both ends and stand the fruit upright on the cutting board; using a sharp knife, cut the rind downward, following the natural curve of the fruit. Continue around until all peel and pith are removed.)
2. Arrange the citrus wheels and avocado slices on a serving platter and scatter the shallot and radish over the top. Drizzle with lime juice and season with salt. Garnish with cilantro if desired. If making ahead, refrigerate prepared salad without avocado; slice and add the avocado when ready to serve.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend the beets, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla until beets are mostly smooth. Add the egg and blend until the egg is incorporated.
4. Using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture becomes a shade lighter and the sugar is well incorporated. If you don’t have a stand mixer you can do this in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
5. Add the flour and beet mixtures to the bowl with the butter-sugar mixture and mix until smooth and evenly mixed. Add your choice of add-ins and mix until they are evenly dispersed.
6. Drop the batter in tablespoon dollops onto the prepared baking sheet. (You will likely need to bake them in two batches, fitting about 12 on the baking sheet at a time.) Lightly wet your fingers and press the cookies down slightly, rewetting your fingers as needed to prevent sticking. Bake for 13 minutes. Let cookie sheet cool down completely before baking the second half of the cookies. Alternatively, use two baking sheets and rotate halfway through baking time.
7. Enjoy warm out of the oven or let the cookies cool on a cooling rack. If desired, dust the cookies with a light sprinkling of powdered sugar before serving.
*If frozen beets are unavailable, sub ¼ cup steamed or boiled sliced fresh beets. Note that cookies made with fresh beets will be a lighter pink than those made with frozen beets.
Make it dairy free, egg free, and vegan: Soak 1 tablespoon of ground flax in 2½ tablespoons water for 5 minutes to make a flax egg. Use this mixture to substitute for the egg. Substitute Natural Grocers Brand Organic Plant Based Buttery Sticks for the butter and your favorite plain plant-based milk for the milk. Increase the baking time to 15 minutes.